Ready for a 6 ingredient creamy and cooling vegan shamrock shake just in time for St. Patrick’s Day? Let’s do this!
Despite the fact that this is actually a pretty simple recipe, we had a hell of a time photographing it. See those messy whipped cream drips? That’s been a cool food photography trend for a while now but to tell you the truth, I’d usually prefer a tidy swirl like this. Unfortunately, luck was not on my side today. Every batch of coconut whipped cream flopped in one way or another. We ran out to the store for some vegan whipped topping but didn’t have the required 4 hours to let it thaw. (Did you know that trying to warm coconut whipped topping on your windshield defroster during the 10 minute ride home from the grocery store before blending it on high in your Vitamix is NOT equivalent to thawing in the refrigerator for 4 hours?)
There was also an awful coconut oil “chocolate syrup” fail that I’d rather just forget. In light of that disaster I opted for mini chocolate chips instead.
Oh well! In the end we have this creamy peppermint milkshake that can be enjoyed alone or topped with your favourite go-to vegan whipped topping. Just take a lesson from me and be patient – If you opt for store-bought, make sure to allow enough time for proper thawing (if needed.) If you go with homemade coconut whip, use a tried and tested recipe you trust. After this day of recipe fails I’m ready to consider coconut whip a write-off.
This peppermint milkshake gets its minty-green colour courtesy of a handful of spinach but don’t let a pinch of vegetables fool you into thinking this is a smoothie or something. It isn’t! Spinach just happens to create a much nicer colour than green food colouring. And it’s not like any respectable smoothie recipe starts out with 2 cups of ice cream anyways, ya know?
Enjoy and Happy St. Patrick’s Day! ♥
- 2 cups vegan vanilla ice cream
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened soy milk)
- 1 big handful of spinach
- 2 drops pure peppermint oil
- vegan whipped cream, for topping
- mini vegan chocolate chips, for topping
- Combine ice cream, non-dairy milk, spinach, and peppermint oil in a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and add more peppermint oil if needed (it’s best to start with less!)
- Divide into 2 small glasses and top with a dollop of vegan whipped cream and a sprinkle of vegan chocolate chips.