Would you believe that there’s never been a taco or burrito recipe on I Love Vegan? With Cinco de Mayo quickly approaching and a taco recipe loong over due, today I’m finally going to share my go-to taco recipe!
After going vegan, burritos and tacos became a lot more popular in our house. The options are limitless and plant-based foods just seem to fare well in a tortilla. Today’s recipe is my version of a Taco Bell-style 7 layer burrito, except it’s vegan and it’s a taco (but who am I kidding, you can totally wrap these up and make ’em into burritos too!)
So here’s what makes up these vegan 7 layer tacos:
Seasoned rice & beans Vegan cheese Guacamole Salsa Tomatoes Shredded lettuce
Equal parts black beans and short grain rice seasoned with a flavourful mix of sautéed garlic, onion, tomatoes, paprika and chili powder make up the filling for these tacos. I like to switch up the base depending on what I have on hand. Usually I prefer rice + beans or beans + veggie “beef” (Gardein’s Beefless Ground is perfect!) for these 7 layer tacos but any mixture of beans/lentils/rice/veggie “beef” will work just fine.
You’ll notice my pictures also include red onion and cilantro, both of those ingredients are included in the guacamole, so it’s really not necessary to add any extra (it was really more of a photo thing.) But of course, feel free to go crazy with the toppings! Make it an 8, 9, or 10 layer burrito! Go crazy! Enjoy!
- 1 tbsp canola, coconut or olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds
- – small flour tortillas
- 1 recipe Taco Filling
- 1/2 cup
- salsa (I used )
- 1–2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- Optional: cilantro, sliced jalapeño, sliced red onion
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is almost translucent.
- Add paprika, chili powder, salt and chopped tomato. Cook until mixture is thick and most of the moisture from the tomatoes has evaporated.
- Mash 1/4 of the black beans before mixing them into the seasoned onion/garlic/tomato mixture. Stir in the rice. Add cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Fillwith 1/4-1/3 cup taco filling, sprinkle with Daiya (microwave to melt if desired.) Top with a thin layer of salsa, chopped tomatoes, a generous amount of guacamole and plenty of lettuce. Enjoy!