Jump to Recipe – Print Recipe
Pesto + potatoes = a match made in heaven, clearly.
Is there really much else that needs to be said about this recipe? Carbs smothered in pesto. You know it’s gonna be good, right?
Besides the fact that this side is damn delicious, it’s scoring some major points in other areas too. First of all, this pesto is a little more economical than classic basil pesto. Since this is a dairy-free pesto recipe, you’re gonna save some cash by skipping the fresh parm and swapping it for nutritional yeast + a touch of miso. Then we take it a step further, swapping raw cashews and hemp seeds for the wildly expensive (but wildly delicious) pine nuts.
(Check out last week’s post if you want to know more about the whole vegan pesto process.)
Secondly, this recipe is incredibly simple. You can easily whip up a batch of pesto while the potatoes are roasting (nothing fancy going on there, just roast the potatoes with a little olive oil and sea salt.) The pesto, made with the help of a food processor, is crazy easy and ready in less than 10 minutes.
And third! This is one of those lovely side dishes that’s as chic as it is simple. I used The Little Potato Company’s Terrific Trio Creamer potatoes, which are literally the most beautiful potatoes I have ever seen (like little edible gems!) Even in the finished dish, the pesto doesn’t hide the beauty of the potatoes. So gorgeous.
Even though this is definitely more of a side dish, I loved eating it as a meal. It’s that ideal combination of comforting ingredients, easy preparation, and deliciousness that makes it kinda meal worthy. Sorta like mac n’ cheese?
Thank you for entering! Congratulations to Madeline for winning!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This post is sponsored by . We love them for their commitment to simple, healthy whole foods like their delicious Creamer potatoes. Thanks for supporting the brands that support I Love Vegan! Learn more about why we love Little Potatoes at
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, packed
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp shiro (white) miso
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp hulled hemp seeds
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 – 1.5lb bag of The Little Potato Company’s Terrific Trio Creamer potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt
- In a food processor, pulse basil, cashews, garlic, and salt, until cashews are finely chopped and evenly textured.
- Add the miso, nutritional yeast, and hemp seeds. Pulse until combined.
- While the processor is running, very slowly pour in the olive oil, followed by the water.
- To prevent oxidation, spoon pesto into a small jar and top with a thin layer of olive oil. As you use the pesto you can stir the oil in, or discard/reserve for later.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut any larger potatoes in half.
- Combine potatoes, olive oil, and generous sprinkle of salt. Mix well.
- Spread potatoes onto baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Flip, and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender and golden brown.
- Mix potatoes with a generous amount of pesto. The potatoes taste best when coated thoroughly.