With just 4 days to go before Thanksgiving, we’re squeaking out this post just in time. This year, our 2 year wedding anniversary happens to fall on Thanksgiving! Is that cause for a food celebration or what?
(PS: Don’t worry US readers, you haven’t mysteriously lost 7 weeks of Fall, we Canadians just celebrate earlier!)
Now what about these Thanksgiving-style smashed potatoes??
For such little potatoes, they sure do pack a big ol’ Thanksgiving punch. I love bite-sized foods, I love mashed potatoes, smashed potatoes (okay, all potatoes), and I looove cranberry sauce + gravy. So I’ve smashed ’em all together and created the this cute Thanksgiving appetizer/side.
These crispy smashed Creamer potatoes (Blushing Belles from The Little Potato Company, to be exact) are topped with a savoury mushroom gravy, a touch of tangy-sweet cranberry sauce, and a pretty little sprig of thyme. Smashed Creamer potatoes are a simple & delicious option whether you’re entertaining or just cooking up a solo Thanksgiving dinner (throw in a roast Tofurky for a minimalist Thanksgiving dinner.)
Whether you’re celebrating this weekend or you’ve got another 7 WHOLE WEEKS to wait for Thanksgiving goodness, I think these should make it to your table ASAP. Okay? Enjoy!
PS: If you like potatoes and the all-in-one concept you’ll LOVE our Roasted Vegan Thanksgiving Bowl recipe!
This post is sponsored by . We love them for their commitment to simple, healthy whole foods like their delicious Creamer potatoes. Thanks for supporting the brands that support I Love Vegan! Learn more about why we love Little Potatoes at
- 1 – 1.5lb bag of
- olive oil (to brush potatoes)
- salt, to taste
- mushroom gravy (recipe below)
- fresh thyme
- black pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp canola oil, olive oil, or vegan margarine
- 2 1/2 cups sliced white and/or cremini mushrooms (approx. 14 medium or 1-227g pkg)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp white miso (blended with a touch of vegetable stock to break up clumpy bits)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cover potatoes with water in a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes or until the largest potato feels tender in the center (when poked with a fork).
- Drain potatoes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Smash each potato with a large pancake flipper so each potato is about 1/2″ thick. Brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with a generous amount of salt. Bake for 20 minutes or until potatoes are crisp and golden. Top each potato with 1/2 tbsp mushroom gravy, 1/2 tsp cranberry sauce, a sprinkle of fresh thyme, and black pepper. Serve immediately.
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Saute onion and garlic for 1 minute before adding the sliced mushrooms. Saute until vegetables are tender.
- Add flour, and whisk until mushrooms are coated. Stir often and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the vegetable stock, soy sauce, and miso.
- Bring the gravy to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often. Taste and adjust seasoning.