Rich, spicy, heart-warming vegan molasses cookies. Mmm… These gems are brimming with ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, and the robust flavour of molasses. They’re soft, chewy, and oh-so comforting.
I used dark brown sugar and blackstrap molasses for the deepest molasses flavour. If you prefer something milder I’d suggest subbing in use fancy molasses and light brown sugar.
You can roll your cookies in raw sugar, sanding sugar, or even just regular granulated sugar for a touch of holiday sparkle. Next time, if I used raw sugar again, I’d just press the tops in the sugar instead of rolling them – the large sugar granules are pretty crunchy.
Red Path is my go-to brand for most sugars. They’ve got plain ol’ white sugar, plus golden yellow, dark brown, and demerara style sugar. For rolling I used Sugar in the Raw (not Red Path.)
More vegan cookie recipes
- Perfect vegan gingerbread cookies (a reader favourite!)
- Coconut oil sugar cookies
- Coconut macaroon thumbrints
- Chewy vegan chocolate chip cookies
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1/2 tbsp (7.5 ml) cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup (120 grams) vegan butter, melted
- 2/3 cup (130 grams) dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) blackstrap or fancy molasses
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) vanilla extract
- raw sugar (for rolling)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom. Mix well.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together melted butter, brown sugar, molasses and vanilla.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Pour raw sugar into a bowl for rolling.
- Scoop cookie dough by the heaping tablespoon and roll into balls. Roll or press dough in raw sugar. Gently press each dough ball to flatten slightly. Place cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving at least 1 1/2″ between cookies.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cookies are cracked, puffy, and the edges appear cooked. Cool on a cooling rack.
- Once cool store in a sealed container.