Sandwiches made with holiday leftovers are one of the best parts of Thanksgiving or Christmas. But why wait for leftovers to enjoy holiday sandwiches? We’re getting straight to the point with these vegan holiday burgers.
The patty is adapted from one of our most popular holiday recipes, our Ultimate Vegan Thanksgiving Loaf with Cranberry Glaze. With a couple of minor adjustments, the recipe is perfect for making veggie burger patties. This recipe is full of nutritious ingredients like brown rice, green lentils, oats, kale, carrots, and walnuts, but more importantly, it’s full of holiday flavours! They strike a perfect balance of savoury + sweet: hearty base with tangy pops of sweetness from dried cranberries and a cranberry glaze.
Take this delicious holiday-inspired veggie patty, add a soft dinner roll, a healthy dose of mushroom gravy, a little extra cranberry glaze, a touch of vegan mayo and heaps of garlicky Brussels sprout slaw for the ultimate Thanksgiving or Christmas burger experience.
These burgers are great for getting your holiday feastin’ fix year round. Serve them as a super low key alternative to the whole BIG dinner production or as a fun addition to your holiday menu. Most importantly? Enjoy!
- 6 dinner rolls or burger buns
- vegan mayo
- 2 cups , blended smooth
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing patties
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium-large carrot, grated
- 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
- 1½ cups kale, stems removed, shredded and tightly packed
- 1½ cups mushrooms, thin-sliced
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup slightly overcooked green lentils
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2/3 cup oat flour (ground oats)
- 3 tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 tbsp caper brine (or lemon juice/vinegar)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- approx. 20 Brussels sprouts, ends removed, shredded
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan and heat over medium-high. Add onion, garlic, carrot, celery, and kale. Sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Continue cooking until vegetables are tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the sautéed vegetables, cooked green lentils, cooked brown rice, oat flour, ground flax seeds, nutritional yeast, walnuts, dried cranberries, and caper brine. Mix VERY well, mashing the mixture to helps the ingredients bind together. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Note: If the mixture doesn’t hold together easily, blend about 1/3 of the mixture using a food processor or immersion blender. Recombine.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Portion mixture into 1/2 cup patties approx. 1/2″ thick. Brush both sides of patties with olive oil. Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 15 minutes, flip and bake for another 15 minutes. Spread with cranberry glaze and bake for 5-10 minutes or until glaze appears set.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over high heat. Add shredded Brussels sprouts and minced garlic. Sauté briefly, until slaw is tender but crisp. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Lightly toast buns if desired, cut side down in a hot skillet with butter (optional).
- Spread the top bun with a light coat of vegan mayo. Top bottom bun with a generous amount of mushroom gravy, add the patty and additional cranberry glaze if desired, top with Brussels sprout slaw and the top bun. Enjoy!