These fluffy perfect-for-autumn pancakes are a cross between breakfast and dessert. Carrot cake for breakfast? Pancakes for dessert? Both are totallyawesome in my books. Plus we’re talking about putting carrots IN pancakes… This is basically healthy eating! Right?
I loaded these pancakes with shredded carrot, dried coconut, golden raisins, chopped pecans, cinnamon, and ground ginger. Halfway through this photoshoot I realized I’d forgotten the pecans so none of the pancakes in the photos have pecans in them but it turns out they’re tasty either way!
These pancakes can easily be customized for a satisfying healthy(-ish) breakfast or a seriously decadent dessert experience. Leave ’em as-is for a delicious breakfast that falls somewhere in the middle. Ah, balance is good stuff.
If you want a real treat use Silk’s Vanilla Almondmilk in place of the unsweetened and go crazy with the toppings: Vegan butter, maple syrup, toasted pecans and shredded coconut are all delicious options. Take things to the next level with this sweet creamy cashew drizzle from our Perfect Vegan Cinnamon Buns recipe.
For something healthier, stick with Silk’s Unsweetened Almondmilk, substitute half of the all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour, use unsweetened coconut, and top ’em with almond butter and just a touch of maple syrup.
This post is sponsored by Silk. All text and opinions are my own. We love Silk for their amazing dairy-free plant milks and their commitment to a plant-based lifestyle. Sign up for Silk’s Newsletter. Looking for Silk in your area? Use this store locator! #DoPlants
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp (155g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch ground ginger
- 1/3 cup grated carrot (approx. 1 carrot)
- 3 tbsp flaked or shredded dried coconut (I used sweetened)
- 3 tbsp golden seedless raisins
- 2 tbsp finely chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 cup Silk Unsweetened Almondmilk, warm
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Lightly oil pan if necessary,
- Mix together flour, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon and ginger. Stir in the grated carrot, dried coconut, raisins, and pecans.
- Heat almondmilk in microwave until just warm (not hot.) Add the melted coconut and sugar and mix well.
- Add the almondmilk mixture to the dry ingredients. Use a fork to mix well, until there are no lumps in the batter. Do not overmix.
- Spoon 1/4-1/3 cup of the batter into your preheated pan. Cook the first side for about 1-2 minutes – until the edges appear dry and cooked and some bubbles have formed. Always flip the pancake before dry spots begin to form on the tops of your pancakes.
- Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Store the cooked pancakes in a single layer on the racks in your warm oven – this will keep them warm but not soggy.
- Continue cooking the pancakes until batter is finished. Makes about 6-7 pancakes.