Today we’ve got Garlicky Cashew Broccoli & Tofu Stir-Fry. This is good, simple, vegan food.
This recipe feels a little special to me – it’s inspired by one of the first times William and I prepared and really LOVED vegetables. In 2009, we traded in the typical last semester of high school for the first level of a local college’s cook’s training program. We lucked out and ended up with a passionate and talented Nelson B.C., based chef and a blunt and wonderfully humorous, reggae-listening, Julia Child-pushing, high school cooking teacher from South Africa. Nelson is a notoriously crunchy and colourful hippie town in the Kootenays, so our chef instructor had nothing but positive encouragement for our future in cooking, even with my vegetarian-soon-to-be-vegan leanings…
Simple but memorable dishes from that experience changed my opinion of vegetables. Broccoli almondine and a cashew variation are some that stick out in my mind. Who would have thought vegetables could be so delicious? Broccoli has been one of my favourite vegetables ever since.
This simple 30 minute lunch or dinner uses quick cooking whole wheat couscous (but you can sub in whatever you prefer: rice, quinoa, cauliflower rice, anything you like!) On top of that: sweet, garlicky stir-fried broccoli, cashews, and chunky cubes of fried tofu. The light sauce is a mix of vegan butter, brown sugar, soy sauce, and lemon juice. It’s simple but it works. I hope you love this recipe as much we do – enjoy!
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 block (350g.) extra-firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 1 ½ tbsp. cornstarch
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- Oil, for frying
- 1 ½ tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. hot water
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- ½ tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. vegan butter (divided)
- 4 cups, (227g.) broccoli florets
- ½ cup, (64g.) chopped or halved raw cashews
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- To serve: sriracha, sesame seeds, etc.
- Prepare couscous according to package instructions, substituting 1 cup vegetable broth and 1 tsp. soy sauce for every cup of water required.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine drained, cubed tofu, cornstarch, salt, and garlic powder. Mix gently to coat the tofu evenly and avoid breaking up the tofu cubes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add the coated tofu and fry, stirring often, until the cubes are evenly golden-brown and crispy on all sides.
- Set aside.
- Stir together brown sugar and hot water until sugar is dissolved. Add soy sauce and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In the same frying pan or wok used to cook the tofu, heat 1 ½ tbsp. vegan butter over high heat. Add the broccoli florets and stir-fry uncovered, for 2-3 minutes. Cover and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until the florets are nearly tender.
- Add another ½ tbsp. vegan butter, cashews, and minced garlic. Stir well and cook for another 1-2 minutes (until garlic is cooked and fragrant.)
- Add the tofu and the brown sugar/soy sauce mixture. Mix well and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until the sauce reduced.
- Serve over couscous. Add sesame seeds and sriracha to taste.