Lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about the way we cook. This article has got me thinking a little more in terms of basic, building block recipes that can be used in countless different ways. Turning one base recipe into multiple things throughout the week can save a ton of time and energy. Cooking a nutritious multi-component meal 3 times a day is a pretty ineffective use of time.
So, we’re kicking off a series of super simple vegan recipes you can use in countless ways. We’re starting with one of my favourites: vegan water! Thankfully it’s quite easy to veganize this building block recipe. Simply label yourself as vegan and start sippin’!
You guys are going to love this recipe because it’s super healthy, refreshing, perfect for spring (who am I kidding? I love this stuff year round!) and honestly, kinda essential. I’ve adapted this recipe to suit nearly every diet and preference. It’s gluten-free, soy-free, oil-free, fat-free, grain-free, paleo, fodmap-friendly, sugar-free, refined sugar-free, low sodium, and caffeine-free. Sadly I haven’t worked out how to make this recipe organic, but I’ll try to figure it out and I’ll update this post with an organic variation ASAP!
Oh my goodness, there are SO many ways you can use this recipe! You can serve it hot, warm, cool, or cold. I’m including a really cool variation for frozen water which is seriously amazing and so refreshing served in chilled vegan water. Add a slice of lemon and you’re in for a real treat.
Looking for more ways to use up leftovers from this recipe?
- Freeze the leftovers
- Add it to soups and sauces to thin the consistency (be careful, vegan water is flavourless so it does tend to dilute the taste a little bit.)
- Adjust the consistency of smoothies (use frozen to thicken, chilled to thin)
- Great starting point for other recipes like coffee, tea, stock, and bouillon.
I hope you enjoy this recipe regularly! It’s one of our favourites, even Lacey (our lovable mutt) loves it! Feel free to offer some to your pets and children. Enjoy!
😉 April Fools! Published April 1st, 2017
- Water (can sub with “ice” – refer to recipe notes)
- Vegan, to drink water
- According to package instructions, use a faucet, well, tap, or other approved water source to fill your chosen vessel with vegan water.
- Be vegan, and enjoy!