This post is sponsored by The Little Potato Company.
Need to combat the increasingly chilly autumn temperatures? Make this Vegan Instant Pot Little Potato & Corn Chowder! It’s the perfect cozy, warm-you-up meal. Don’t have an Instant Pot? No problem! You can easily make this recipe on your stove-top too!
This comforting chowder is best with a couple of thick pieces of French bread or a handful of crackers. It’s creamy, savoury, a little bit smoky, and flecked with sweet corn. We topped our bowls with fresh chives, crumbled tempeh bacon, corn, and pepper.
This hearty vegan chowder requires a few simple ingredients to make. First of all, you’re going to need Little potatoes! Like their name suggests, The Little Potato Company specializes in growing Little potatoes. Little potatoes aren’t large potatoes harvested early while they’re still immature. They’re fully mature Creamer potatoes. Growing the best Creamer potatoes is what The Little Potato Company does!
For this Vegan Instant Pot Little Potato & Corn Chowder we’re going to use a bag of their Terrific Trio Creamer potatoes. These Creamer potatoes are colourful little gems, a lovely mix of yellow, red, and blue Little Potatoes. They’re perfect for a potato-centric recipe like this one!
To make this vegan chowder, we’ll need those pretty Creamer potatoes, as well as corn kernels, leeks, tempeh bacon, coconut milk, and a few other pantry staples. Don’t worry about this chowder tasting coconut-y. We won’t use much, just enough to make this soup creamy and super decadent. If you’re really averse to any trace of coconut flavour you can use unsweetened soy milk instead.
If you want to make this recipe on your stove-top:
Add an extra cup or two of water and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the soup reduces to your desired thickness and the potatoes are tender. Easy!
We have many more potato soup recipes on the blog that are cozy and warming for fall! Try out our Vegan Leek & Potato Soup, Vegan Loaded Baked Potato Soup, Easy Vegan Shōyu Ramen, or our Creamy Red Coconut Curry Soup!
This post is sponsored by The Little Potato Company. We love them for their commitment to simple, healthy whole foods like their delicious Creamer potatoes. Thanks for supporting the brands that support I Love Vegan! Learn more about why we love Little Potatoes at www.littlepotatoes.com
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil or vegan butter
- 1 – 1.5lb (680g) bag of The Little Potato Company’s Blushing Belles
- 2 cups (500ml) leeks (1 leek, white part only – 160g)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 7 slices tempeh bacon, crumbled
- ½ cup (125ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 6 cups (1500ml) vegetable broth
- ½ cup (125ml) frozen corn kernels
- ½ cup (125ml) coconut cream (can be substituted with unsweetened soymilk)
- ½ tbsp (7.5ml) white vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Chives, chopped, for topping
- With the lid off, turn Instant Pot on to “Sauté” and choose the “Normal” heat level. Wait for the Instant Pot to preheat. Add the olive oil or vegan butter and wait for 1 minute. Add the crumbled tempeh bacon. Cook, stirring often, until the tempeh bacon is just browned, about 2 minutes.
- Remove about ¼ of the crumbled, browned tempeh bacon. Set aside for topping.
- Add the garlic and stir. Add the leeks and stir and cook for 1 minute, until the leeks are tender and translucent.
- Add the potatoes and flour. Mix well. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add approximately 2 cups of vegetable stock to deglaze the bottom of the Instant Pot. Add the remaining vegetable stock.
- Securely close the lid on your Instant Pot, turn the valve to the “Sealing” position. Turn the Instant Pot on to “Manual” or “Pressure Cook”. Set timer for 10 minutes.
- After cooking, quick release the pressure on your Instant Pot by carefully moving the valve to “Venting”. Once the Instant Pot has released all pressure, carefully remove the lid.
- Change Instant Pot setting to “Sauté”, heat level “Normal”. Add corn kernels and simmer until thickened. Add coconut cream and vinegar. Stir.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve topped with bacon and chives.