Delicious Vegan Mac and Cheese
This is one of the best Vegan Mac and Cheese recipes I have tasted. The sauce is made with a creamy cashew cheeze sauce and has even been a hit with my non-vegan friends! What I love even more about it is that it does not take very long to prepare or to cook. It’s a great option for picky kids too. You can choose to use wholemeal pasta if you prefer the extra fibre but it does work really well with white pasta.
Calories per serve: 350 kcal
What you will need:
- 1 1/2 cups of raw cashews (soaked in water for 2 hours)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon child powder
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 cups of chosen pasta (gluten free if needed)
- Cashew parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the pasta according to package instructions. Drain the cashews.
- While pasta is cooking, combine cashews, lemon juice, water, salt, nutritional yeast, chile powder, garlic, turmeric, cayenne and mustard in a high speed blender and blend until its fully combined and silky smooth. If its too thick you may need to add a couple more tablespoons of water and blend again.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain and return the pasta to the pot. Stir in the cheese sauce. Season to taste and top with a sprinkle of cashew parmesan cheese for garnish. Season to taste and enjoy warm!