Serves 1, but easy to scale up to serve more!
What You’ll Need:
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach, torn if the leaves are large
- 1 medium handful tortilla chips, broken into bite-sized pieces (I recommend Que Pasa organic unsalted or lightly salted tortilla chips)
- 1-2 tbsp hummus (I like Fontaine Sante roasted garlic flavour)
- 1-2 tbsp salsa
- approximately 1/4 beans (chickpeas or black beans)
- 1/4 avocado, diced
- 1 thick slice of tomato, diced
- 1 thin slice of red onion, cut in half
- 1/4 recipe salsa baked tofu (Short on time? Follow these quick instructions )
- optional: sprinkle of cheddar-style daiya shreds
How To Assemble:
In a wide bowl or plate, lay down 2 handfuls of spinach. Mix in your broken up tortilla chips into the top layers of the spinach.
Layer an even sprinkle of chickpeas, followed by diced tomato, diced avocado, sliced red onion, hot or chilled salsa baked tofu, and a sprinkle of cheddar-style daiya shreds (optional).
Serve with a dollop of hummus and salsa on the side. Mix in the salsa and hummus into the salad and enjoy!
Short on time? Try Quick Sautéed Salsa Tofu:
Cut your tofu into bite-size triangles. (Check out our tofu tutorial for picture instructions)
In a non-stick skillet heat a small amount of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add your tofu and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Flip and brown the other side.
Once browned on both sides, sprinkle with a small amount of salt and toss gently. Add about 3 Tbsp of salsa, enough to generously coat the tofu, a dash or sriracha using your personal preference, and about 1 tsp of low sodium taco or fajita seasoning. Toss and cook until the tofu is coated and most of the salsa water has evaporated.
It’s up to you whether to chill your tofu before topping your taco salad, or serving it hot. I like it hot, but chilled it great for taking in a packed lunch.
Other Serving Ideas:
Use guacamole in addition or as a substitute for the hummus.
Substitute your favourite leafy greens for baby spinach.
Serve in a tortilla bowl or leave out the tortilla chips and serve in a whole grain wrap.