Prepare some elements of this meal on the go ahead of time and this healthy, satisfying lunch will be an absolute breeze to put together. Homemade Falafel and our Oatmeal Protein Bars freeze perfectly so they’re ideal for batch cooking, if you already have them prepared and ready to go this lunch should only take 10-20 minutes to prep.
Which elements be prepared in advance?
Falafel can be cooked and refrigerated 4-6 days in advance or much earlier if kept frozen. Oatmeal protein bars can be made 6 months or more in advance if kept frozen. Salad ingredients minus avocado can be prepared in containers up to 3 days in advance.
Yield: 1 meal and 1-2 snacks on the go
Required Storage Containers:
- 1 large container (Choose a container that’s significantly larger than the salad you prepare, this makes it much easier to mix the ingredients together.)
- 1 small-medium sized container for raw vegetables
- 1-2 small dip-sized container with lids
- small container, parchment paper, aluminum foil, saran wrap, or plastic baggy for protein bar
- a fork
Store chilled (In a refrigerator, cooler, or insulated lunch bag with an ice pack.)
- 5+ pieces ofor a store-bought variety
- 1–2 handfuls baby spinach
- 1 handful of grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1–2 inch piece cucumber, sliced and quartered
- 1 small-medium carrot, grated
- ¼–1/2 ripe avocado, chopped
- 1–3 tbsp of your favourite dressing (I used a vegan ranch dressing but I love using hummus as a creamy salad dressing too!)
- 1 cup of your favourite raw veggies: carrot sticks, sliced cucumber, grape tomatoes, celery sticks, broccoli florets, sweet bell pepper sticks, cauliflower, radishes, etc.
- 2–3 tbsp Hummus or vegan vegetable dip
- Your favourite store-bought bar
- 1–2 pieces of your favourite fresh fruit: apple, banana, orange, pear, peach, plum, grapes, watermelon, etc.
- In a medium to large sized food storage container add your spinach, followed by the rest of the vegetables and chilled falafel. Use a container that’s larger than the volume of your salad, when it comes to time to mix in the dressing this will make it a lot easier to get even distribution.
- Depending on when you’ll eat your salad, if you add the avocado now it will begin to oxidize and start turning a slightly brown colour. There’s nothing wrong with this, if you’re eating your salad within a couple of hours it won’t affect the flavour at all. To prevent oxidization, leave the avocado in the shell adding it just before eating. You can also chop it up with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice to prevent discoloration.
- Store 1-3 tbsp of your favourite dressing in a small, dip-sized food storage container.
- Along side your salad, pack some veggies & dip, fresh fruit, and an Oatmeal protein bar as shown in the picture above.