Things have been a little hectic around here lately, and here’s why:
- an impulsive decision to adopt a minimalist lifestyle (read: diving in head first and essentially turning our house upside down)
- a much anticipated visit from family next week (a.k.a chaotically cleaning our house top-to-bottom)
- painting our very-white bathroom a deep maroon colour before our visitors arrive (read: procrastinating said painting job until… hmm, let’s see… 4 days before they arrive!)
Originally we’d planned on writing one “welcome to summer” type of post but as we got excited about new ideas the job just seemed to keep growing larger and larger. So we decided to break the post into multiple parts and post one part each day, thus the Vegan Summer Series!
Today is Part 1: A recipe that is the embodiment of summer.
Hint: Iced coffee onlybetter.
What are 3 classic flavour combinations that are always guaranteed to be a hit?
- Banana + Peanut butter
- Peanut butter + Chocolate
- Chocolate + Coffee
Yep, tried-and-true always delicious. So, logically that has to mean that the ULTIMATE fusion of flavours would be Coffee + Chocolate + Banana + Peanut Butter, right?
The answer is a big YES. Just whip up this decadent PB & Banana Iced Mocha and see for yourself!
So why is this combination especially well-suited for smoothie form? In one word: Synergy.
Coffee and chocolate offer multiple sources of caffeine, while sugars from the banana provide a quick boost of energy. Plant proteins in the peanut butter and soy milk help keep you feeling upbeat and energized for longer.
In addition, blending helps to speed up nutrient absorption ensuring that you’ll be fueling your body with loads of healthy vitamins and minerals.
What does this mean for you? Well, not only will you be buzzing with energy sooner, you’ll also be diminishing the crash that can follow caffeine consumption. I think this could be the best and most functional breakfast ever!
This mocha smoothie is:
- 100% vegan
- low in saturated fat
- high in protein
- naturally sweetened
- cheaper & healthier & more energizing than store-bought iced mochas
To achieve that perfect frosty, creamy texture, you’ll have to do a little bit of prep ahead of time. You’ll need a batch of iced coffee cubes (freeze a fresh batch of strongly brewed coffee in an ice cube tray) and 2 frozen bananas. Don’t have any frozen bananas on hand? Check out our tutorial:
I hope you love this summer smoothie as much as I do! That’s it for Part 1 – Stay tuned for Part 2 of the Vegan Summer Series, coming soon!
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk (use vanilla for extra sweetness)
- 1 cup iced coffee cubes
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- 1 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
- Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Enjoy!